Itineraries and excursions
Statue of San Carlo Borromeo
The statue of San Carlo Borromeo was built on the initiative of Grattarola and interest of Federico Borromeo (1564-1631), a cousin of Charles and Archbishop of Milan
The project was executed by Bernardo Falcone and Siro Zanelli (1614-1697)
It had to be in marble and placed in a context of 15 chapels dedicated to the life of St. Charles Borromeo (1538-1584), Archbishop of Milan from 1567, a tireless promoter of Christian works and strict defender of the Tridentine dogma.
The statue was made of copper instead, cost 1.2 million pounds of Milan and the chapels were only 3 of which 2 unfinished.
The Colossus top 23 merti represents the saint with his right hand in blessing and under the other arm are the codes of the council of Trent.
Stands on a granite pedestal, stand behind the two iron staircases accessing the exterior balustrade from which you can climb inside the statue.
Overlooking the square below the seminary of St. Charles, designed by Richini and enlarged in 1907.
Similarly we have the project architect, then altered, the church of San Carlo square where there is an altar of San Carlo Cesare Procaccini.
Adjacent to the church is the faithful reproduction, with antiques and original material, the chamber of St. Charles Borromeo, who was in the castle home destroyed in 1800. In the room are also preserved relics and memories of the saint.